Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Modeling: Kaelyssa Complete

This has been the first time where I have really focused to get a model done in a short period of time.  As you saw in my previous post http://spacejunky74.blogspot.com/2011/10/modeling-rayvn-wip-1.html I had put on the base coat and the initial wash.  The next step was to dry brush white over the washed blue.  Although I like the look that the Privateer Press uses for the army, mine have turned into a more "glowing" look, and I am really enjoying it.  Here is a  of pictures with the dry brushed white complete.


Next up was to color the non-armor items.  I used Boltgun Metal on the rifle and the sword.  I was able to keep some of the blue undertone while painting these and I think they turned out really well.  I also used a green on the cloak, but was able to keep blue in the divots which gives it a really nice look.  I also painted the breast plate a little more solid white in order to solidify the look.  Now looking back at it, I wish I would have left it alone.  The night in which I completed the dry brushing, I was really not happy about the look and thought I would hate the model.  But the next morning, I looked at it again and the look really grew on me.  I am very happy with the model now.



The next step was to complete the base.  I also noticed that I had not painted the goggles.  So I painted them before working on the base.  I also forgot to paint around the base which I regreted later.  It turned out looking good, but a lesson for me in writing down the correct order to make sure I do not miss steps.  For the base, the first step was to put tape on the base to cover the open parts of the slot.  


After this I put down a layer of Elmer's glue.  I use a toothpick to spread out the glue.  I know some people use a 50/50 of Elmer's and water.  I tried that on one of my models and did not like how well the material stuck to the base.  So I am sticking to 100% Elmer's.  


After the glue has been well spread, I start to pile on the material in a Tupperware tray.  I press down over the entire base to ensure that I have it well covered.  I also use the toothpick to press down the material especially between the legs to make sure it is covered well.  Once the material is on, I use the toothpick to get the excess out off of the base.  I then stick the model in a small paper bag and spray it with a compressed air can.  This gets all of the loose material off of the base.  



Once I was happy with the material, I painted the base.  I will eventually paint the front arc onto the base, but I have not used a reliable method for getting this in the correct spot.  I am going to try something new once I have some more models ready for it.  Here is the finished model.



I am very happy how the model turned out.  To have it finished working only a little bit on it in the evenings each night over a three night period is very exciting for me.  Putting together this blog has helped me greatly in motivating me to complete other models I have.  The smaller models are a challenge, but can be fun.  My next model to paint is the Artificer and should be a challenge.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment