Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Modeling: House Shyeel Artificer Complete

Welcome to another painting posting for my Retribution army.  I had taken a break from painting due to work issues, but I am now able to put some time into my models.

The next model I wanted to complete was the House Shyeel Artificer.  I have really liked the look of this model as soon as I saw the pictures.  This was another model which got base coated with the P3 White that clumped up.  So after taking my Dremel Brass Brush to the model, I was able to get it cleaned up enough to start over.


As you can see in both the front and side views, there was still some of the original base coat left on the model, but I was able to get a majority of it off.  I did have to go out and buy a new brass brush.  The one thing about the Dremel brass brushes is that the bristles will come out.  It is very important to wear glasses or goggles with when using it or you may take one in the eye.


The next two pictures show the second base coat.  This time the paint went on a lot more evenly and there was no clumping.  I was very happy with the coverage as I tried to hit all of the angles I could.  I love this model because of the look that he is flying.  I was not sure how it would look when I got done painting it, but it seemed like it would be a fun model to put paint.



The next step was to put on the ink to get the blue into the edges and groves.  This is the second model that I have done this with, and since I really liked how Kaelyssa turned out, I tried the same methodology with this model.  The following two pictures show the model with the blue ink.  Although it looks like a mess, it was pretty effective.  There are some very nicely done designs on the armes, and they really showed with the ink applied.




The next shot shows the model after dry-brushing the white on the model.  As with the Kaelyssa model, I was not very happy after completing this step.  But I gave it over night and ended up really happy with the dry brushing.  The Privateer Press paint jobs are always a solid white with the glow effect.  It was one of the main things that drew me toward this army.  In realizing my painting skills are not there by any means, I really like my version of it.


The next shots show the model with the accents painted and the exposed cloak.  That's right, it is not a skirt!!!  So I used the standard Dark Angels Green that I have been using for the cloaks on the other models I have painted.  I then used some Shining Gold for the cloak accents.  The part of the boots that is exposed got just a touch of silver.




Next up, it was time for basing.  I used the standard blue painters tape to cover the base slot holes.  It took a few pieces, but I got it covered nicely.  Not much to this.  Next up I made a decision I might regret.



In the photos below, you can see I used black around the edge of the base and used some green on the base.  I thought that this would help hide imperfections in the basing material.  I did not think that this paint would cause a problem with the basing material not sticking.  The base coat paint seems to provide a much better bond for the basing material, so this will likely be the last time I pre-paint the base like this.





Next up, you can see the model with the basing material applied.  I had to re-glue some of it down due to it not sticking well to the coat of paint I put down.  I still like the way it looks though.  The green matched enough on the part of the model attached to the base to still give it the "floating" look.  I will still have to touch up the model later, especially some of the accents, but overall I like the way it looks.




This was a fun model to put together and paint.  I am very happy with how it turned out.  I hope you like it.  Not sure which model I am going to work on next.  I think it is Ossy's turn to get cleaned up and ready for the table.  I will try to get a WIP for him out sometime before the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Kick ass man, your stuff just keeps getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete